Massie School opened in 1856 as Savannah’s first free public school, operating continuously except for its use as a Union hospital during the Civil War Federal occupation of the city and as a Freedmen’s school during Reconstruction.
Closed as a regular school in 1974, Massie reopened in 1977 as a teaching museum for history and architecture with programs attracting visitors of all ages, serving over 20,000 visitors last year. A local school system property, the site hosts exhibitions and programs throughout the year.
For over 150 years, Massie has educated the citizens of Savannah and the surrounding area. Today, we continue a tradition of providing high-quality, engaging programs for visitors of all ages. Visit Us